Tuesday 31 December 2013

Wedding dress shopping

I had never really considered the implications of wedding dress shopping until it was time to start, and I wondered why nobody had posted advice online about it. I sort of made it up as I went along, so thought I'd use my experiences to assist others. 

1. Plan in advance - some wedding dress shops will let you just walk in and look at dresses, and try on ones that you like. Some won't. You usually need to make an appointment, which can sometimes be a few hours long. If you have the time, make two or three appointments staggered throughout one day, so that you can compare the different styles and prices in each shop. 

2. Dress appropriately - In most wedding dress shops that I visited, an assistant helped me into each dress. This means being naked in front of a stranger. Some people may be comfortable with this, however I was not. I wore a dress with no fastenings to go shopping, with a vest and leggings underneath. This meant I could get dressed and undressed quickly, and I left my leggings and vest on to save my dignity. 

3. Keep in mind what you want - most shops will encourage you to try on lots of different styles, which is a good idea. You won't necessarily like the style that you have always planned on. But if you know you don't feel confident in skin-tight outfits, don't waste time trying on ten fish-tail gowns.  Also, consider the shoes you want to wear. Some assistants insisted I wear heels with the dresses, when I knew I would be wearing flats on the day.

4. Keep a budget in mind - Don't listen to people who say; "if it's your dream dress, cost isn't an issue" unless you're made of money. Everybody has a budget to stick to. It's worth bearing in mind that shops usually ask for a 10% deposit to reserve a dress, and you can then pay off he rest in installments.

5.  Sizes - lots of wedding dress shops have one dress in each style available, and that dress is usually a size 10 or 12. If you're not a size 10 or 12, the dress will be adjusted for you to try on, by extending the back with a panel, or by pinning it to fit smaller frames. This can be frustrating, as it's hard to feel comfortable in a dress which is clearly too small. However, your measurements are taken, and the dress you choose will be made to your specific requirements. This can take up to twelve months, so the earlier you start looking, the better.

6.  Off the rack - Some stores sell dresses "as seen", which you can get altered in your own time. This is often a more cost effective method, however it can sometimes mean you don't have the option to pay in installments.

7.  Don't be pressured - I came accross one sales assistant who used the excuse of a dress being on sale to push me to make a decision. When I asked how much the dress would cost after the sale, I was told; "It depends on which sale is on at the time." I was told by a friend that an assistant from the same shop told her there had been a lot of interest in the sale dress that she liked, and it might not still be there the next time. You will know if it's the right dress. Sales assistants usually make commission from gowns sold. Keep this in mind.

8.  Book regular fittings - Especially if you are trying to lose weight. Make the last one around a week before the big day, so that you have time for last minute alterations if need be.

9.  Take people who you trust- I took my best friend and my mum for most of my appointments, but all of my bridesmaids, and my mother in law came along too at one point. This was good, as they all had different ideas, so it was great when we all fell in love with the same dress.

10.  Enjoy it!  Although it can be stressful, this should be an exciting time. And for the record, not one store I looked in offered champagne and strawberries while I tried dresses on, so book a table for lunch and cocktails afterwards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment