Thursday 5 April 2012

Wedding Venue Dilemma

Photo from culturepool.com

http://www.contemporaryurbancentre.org/
     When originally planning my wedding, I knew that a church would not be suitable for the ceremony.  Aside from my desire to have a unique wedding, there was the issue of religion.  My fiance is Catholic, and I'm Church of England, so steering clear of churches altogether meant that neither family would be offended or made to feel uncomfortable.  Aside from that, I wanted the opportunity to choose my own music, vows, decor etc, and a lot of these things are more difficult to achieve in churches.  Many couples now choose to have a civil ceremony in registry offices or other public buildings, but I wanted something a little bit different,
  It all seemed too easy, and I found the perfect venue straightaway.  My fiance and I had visited the Contemporary Urban Centre (CUC) to see various art exhibitions and gigs.  I knew the area well, and I liked the fact that it was close to the city centre, but far away enough for it to have a cool, laid back atmosphere.  However, upon discovering that the CUC was available for both wedding ceremonies and receptions, I just had to view the space.  The exterior of the building looked very underwhelming - similar to the other warehouses in the area.  This made the wedding space even more exciting.  When my guests arrived at the venue, they would expect a plain, modern, clinical space, and would be amazed to discover what was actually there...
...
a room with beautiful wooden floors, a spiral staircase,
http://www.contemporaryurbancentre.org/
traditional wooden beams, plush red carpets,  chandeliers, fireplaces...need I go on? It was the perfect venue for a modern city wedding!  And possibly the best part, is that the money spent on weddings went to a good cause, the "People Can" charity.  Because of this, the price seemed extremely low, and I'm assuming that this is because there is no profit to be made, just funds raised to be passed on to the charity, 

You may have noticed that while discussing The CUC, I have been writing  about it in the past tense.  That is because in December 2011, The CUC sadly announced that it would be closing.  I had been engaged for a year, and thought that I had the main parts of the day - the ceremony and reception venue - all planned out, but this announcement changed everything.  How will I ever find another venue in which the two events can be held with the same amazing location, classically beautiful features, and most importantly, will I still be able to afford it?  I will keep you informed as I undertake this seemingly impossible task, fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment