Saturday 10 November 2012

Camp and Furnace Wedding Festival

Sorry this is a bit late, but a second wedding festival is in the pipeline for this venue, so this post should still serve a purpose.

I had been eagerly awaiting this event. My maid of honour was unable to join me, but after listening to me gushing about how cool the venue was, i successfully enlisted a very helpful friend to come along with me. The entry fee of five pounds had put me off a little, as the other wedding fairs I have previously attended were always free, but I was so excited that parting with some hard earned cash was something that I hardly even considered.

The initial scene seemed promising, classic camper vans and cool vintage cars provided by 'VW Vintage Wedding Vehicle Hire.' (www.vwvintagewedding.com)

Upon entering the venue, I was struck by how amazing the space was - perfect for any cool party or celebration, but definitely the right place to hold a barn style or festival inspired wedding.

While we wandered around the various stalls, most stall holders were keen to chat about my upcoming nuptials and to discuss their services on offer. Some excellent ideas for hen parties were offered by 'Hen Craft'. (www.thecraftcreative.com) A perfect idea if you don't fancy getting overly tipsy on your hen do, workshops include 'make your own fascinator' and 'pimp your pants' (a chance to design and make some frilly knickers!) These fun classes would not only provide entertainment, and perhaps help you find a new hobby, but you could also use your creations on your big day. I really like this idea!

Beautifully intricate cake creations were on display, crafted by 'The Chocolate Cellar' (at The Wedding House). With awe-inspiring designs, delicious cakes and chocolate favours, The Chocolate Cellar seems like an excellent choice for your dessert course.

Many of the stall holders were really friendly, which added to the happy and relaxed atmosphere. Others were extremely stand-offish, if not downright rude! (There's always one!) At one point, my friend excitedly complimented some beautiful stationary, and the lady manning the stall simply raised her eyebrows and continued to slurp her tea - no stationary is pretty enough to be snooty about!

While I enjoyed searching through the racks of vintage wedding dresses, it was hard to imagine anybody actually wearing one on their wedding day. I think a 'vintage inspired' dress would be more appropriate than genuine vintage, but each to their own I suppose.

When we had finished browsing, we took a seat in the cool 'picnic style' seating area, and I treated my companion and I to a half of pilsner each while we discussed the experience as a whole. We concluded that the stalls offered an eclectic variety of products and services, but felt that we hadn't really seen anything exciting or different (aside from the crafting hen parties!). Some stalls are regulars at vintage fairs, which do not have an entry fee, which was a little disappointing. We felt that on the whole, we couldn't justify paying an entrance fee for this event. I have been to similar events which cost nothing, and I received more goodies! (See my previous post on Memory Lane Wedding Fairs for details.)

The Camp and Furnace venue is undeniably excellent, with a cool, laid back vibe. Even if you are not planning a wedding, I would recommend a visit. The bar is relaxed and comforting, with a roaring fire to keep warm by. The menu looks very exciting, and there is also an art gallery space, as the venue actively encourages and promotes the arts. I feel that it would be an excellent venue in which to hold a modern or vintage inspired wedding...and the kitsch caravan accommodation is an amazing gimmick, meaning that family and friends don't have to worry about finding their way home after the event. I just felt that we didn't get much for our money, and hope that if we were to return next time, that this would possibly be rectified.



No comments:

Post a Comment